This position has overall responsibility for grinding and machining parts of various alloys to the requirements defined by specifications, work instructions and direction of supervisors. An employee in this position will perform tasks directly related to the machining of both production and prototype parts made of various steels, alloys, engineering plastics, and magnetic materials.
- The work is job oriented, following detailed blueprints, customer specifications, internal work instructions, and engineering direction both written and verbal.
- Employees with this title may operate powered CNC machine tools such as wire EDM machines, surface grinders, Blanchard grinders, ID/OD grinders, centerless grinders, core drilling machinery, mills, lathes, and other related equipment.
- Employee will also be required at times to operate various hand tools, precision measuring equipment and associated gages and tooling.
- Employees will be tasked with preventative maintenance and housekeeping duties.
- Assist with special projects.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent is required. Journeyman’s certification in Machining or Tool and Die preferred.
- 5-7 years’ experience machining prototypes, fixtures and gages; grinding experience is helpful.
Successful Essential Skills
- Excellent problem solving skills: uses rigorous logic and methods to solve problems producing effective solutions to problem statements.
- Strong technical skills. Ability to set up and run a variety of machines while holding very tight tolerances with limited direction creating quality parts to spec on short run parts (first part, good part). Primary equipment: CNC OD/ID and surface Grinders as well as rough and precision slicers.
- Strong machine shop math and complex blueprint reading skills, including GD&T.
- Knowledge and use of a wide variety of precision measuring equipment.
Successful Essential Behaviors
- Is action oriented and independent.
- Has a heightened sense of urgency and works at a quick pace (high energy).
- Uses creativity to make connections among unrelated notions and is seen as having original thought.
- Attention to detail: focus on accuracy, completeness and following standards, rules, regulations and requirements.
- Cooperative with others and usually helpful to the rest of the team in getting work done.
- Upholds values and beliefs of organization. Exhibits integrity as a person and in their work. Maintains appropriate confidentiality at work.
- Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously his/her work skills.
- Has a can do, will do attitude.