This position has overall responsibility for programming CNC equipment along with establishing machining methods and tool sequences to meet required customer specifications and work instructions.
- Develops NC programs for various types of machines (CNC lathes, vertical machining centers, multi-axis machines (3, 4, and 5 axis)
- Establishes appropriate machining methods and tool sequences.
- Determines the necessary fixturing and tooling to maintain tight tolerances.
- Possesses good understanding of CNC tooling.
- Analyzes and solves program and tooling-related problems on the shop floor, which cause downtime or otherwise limit productive capacity of equipment.
- Creates and updates setup sheets and assures integrity of produced documentation.
- Create and maintain job documentation files.
- Troubleshoot issues with DNC system (communication between machines and servers).
- Assists setup personnel with program, tooling and setup issues.
- Possesses working knowledge of CAD (Solidworks/AutoCAD) and CAM software (Mastercam)
- Optimizes and proves-out programs on machines to maximize equipment utilization.
- Trains and assists in development of personnel (cross-training)
- Identify opportunities for cost savings and setup time reduction.
- Performs all work in a manner that ensures safety of self and others, paying attention to lock out/tag out of OSHA requirements.
- Required at times to operate various hand tools, precision measuring equipment and associated gages and tooling.
- Assist in running machines to support Operations coverage as needed.
- Initiates preventative maintenance and housekeeping duties.
Education and Experience
- Requires 3 years CNC programming experience (preferably Mastercam), and 3+ years CNC setup experience.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing methods, tooling, fixturing and materials.
- Proficiency with MS Office tools. (word / excel)
- Proficiency with CAD/CAM software (preferably Solidworks, AutoCAD, Mastercam) Knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Excellent knowledge of blueprint reading and drawing interpreting. GD&T required
- Working knowledge of most machine shop equipment including mills, lathes, drills, surface and rotary grinders, plunge EDM and wire EDM.
- Experience working with wide range of steels. (CRS, Aluminum, Hastelloy, Inconel, etc)
- Familiar with working properties of different steels.
- Experience in a make to order / engineer to order shop environment is a plus.
- Ability to program, set up and run up complex jobs without supervision.
- Able to routinely develop programs, set ups, and set parameters on new / prototype parts with speed and precision.
- Knowledge and use of a wide variety of precision measuring equipment.